Saturday, February 4, 2012

Perfectly Perfect

Dysmorphic Facial Features..... I'm sure you're wondering what I'm talking about.  Those words are the reason the NICU doctor gave us for wanting to do a chromosome analysis 2 days after Tyler was born.  Don't get me wrong, I will forever be grateful to that doctor.  He saw something that made him do tests that diagnosed Tyler before we even left the hospital.  We were able to start therapy and find medical problems immediately.  We know families who don't receieve a diagnosis for years.  However, lets just say I wasn't so grateful the day a doctor told me my precious newborn baby didn't look right.  Dysmorphic Facial Features.  Dys-morph-ic.  Uggghhh! It sounds like he has an ear growing out of his nose or something.  Couldn't we think of a better way to break it to a brand new mother that her child could possibly have a life-altering medical condition?  Since that day, medical professionals still use the medical terminology to describe Tyler and his symptoms.  They see those "dysmorphic features", I see perfection.  Back in the summer, when Kammy's Kause asked for artwork from our kids to auction off at their fundraiser, I had an idea.  Luckily, my mother in-law bid high enough that we didn't have to let it go :) 

Prominent forehead
widE set eyes
shoRt upper lip
epicanthal Folds
hearing impairmEnt
small Chin
down turned mouTh

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome, and I really think that it should be made into a reproducible poster and sold at Kammy's Kause~ I'd buy one. I remember hearing the exact same concerns about my baby right after she was born. Of course, after my amnio results came back "normal," the last thing I was prepared to hear was that her eyes were widely-spaced, she has a short philtrum, flat nose bridge, small chin...and so on. My husband and I argued with the NICU for DAYS that the test results that ruled out such a concern and that these were family-features. The doctors and nurses just nodded their heads and gave us the sad smile that said, "You're in denial." I was...some days, I confess that I still am. Seriously-- you ought to look into reproducing that poster!

    ReplyDelete